Had something happen last weekend that totally took me by surprise. It probably shouldn't bother me so much, but since I really take other people into consideration, it does.
Anyway, I was spending last Friday helping my wife prepare the house for a party in which we were going to find out the sex of soon-to-come addition to our family (it's going to be a boy, woo!). The whole day was amazing and the fact that I didn't need to be at work and I could just have fun was something I had been longing for.
Damn you Twitter...
Taking a short break I decided to look at Twitter and see if I needed to respond to anyone. I scroll through the mentions and spot this:
"I think I have to unfollow you 🙁 You aren't you on Twitter... you're some cool guy Internet work-less seo pretender type"
Now this tweet came from a friend who I've known for quite some time, but rarely ever see anymore. All the same, I responded back to him basically apologizing but letting him know that he has to do what he has to do. Couple of days later, I'm unfollowed.
Who am I?
That one message got me thinking about what I'm doing and if I really believe in the things preached on this site. Am I just saying this stuff because I want people to buy things from me, or click on affiliate links? Am I taking advantage of people and advocating for something that I've never really done before?
After a good amount internal dialogue, I came to this conclusion:
- I've spent that last 2 years trying to start a business that is profitable, despite the doubt I've felt about being able to become an entrepreneur. (done)
- I wanted to be able to give my wife her dream of staying home with the children. (Done)
- I desired to spend more time with my children while being able to maintain or improve my business. (Done)
- I wanted to build a business that could run without me, for the most part. (Done)
- I've dreamed of being able to help other people start their own business, whether with virtual assistants or not. (Done - you can see proof here)
- I've wanted to use the skills I've learned in WordPress, SEO, Business, and Project Management to help and teach others to do the same. (Done).
Everything I talk on this site is from experience. I believe in it because I live it. There's no get rich quick crap, and I definitely make a ton of mistakes, but I love what I do and all of the awesome people who I meet.
Who cares what other people think
I care about what other people think. I am not a fool to imagine that I have all of the answers, and that I know how the majority of people view me. When I get criticism, it's taken to heart. Do I think that my friend is right? No, not at all. But that's his perception, and maybe I do come off as being just like every other get rich quick guy out there.
I think this is why I have a natural apprehension when I'm creating content. I'm afraid people are going to think I am fake. Every month is still a struggle. But sharing experiences with other new business owners is something that is priceless.
What do you guys think? Do I come across as being fake? Don't be afraid to be honest.