The path to success in your business is never a straight line. It always has plenty of zigs and zags. Challenges come along that can temporarily derail you and making sure you have laughter in business can get you back on track quickly.
When was the last time you had a good belly laugh? I love this quote by E.E Cummings:
“The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.”
Laughter in your business can immediately lighten your load and give you a fresh perspective on any problem you are facing.
Problems become possibilities instead of difficult obstacles. You feel better as endorphins, the natural chemicals that are released when you laugh, increase your overall feeling of well-being.
That “I can do anything” feeling comes roaring back. You feel refreshed, your head gets clear, you are strengthened and your stress is reduced.
These are all healthy things. There are plenty of studies that show laughter is very healing and has even played a role in reversing disease.
So in what ways can laughter in business bring massive results?
- Laughter is contagious, just like yawning. It attracts attention, others join in, and it encourages and inspires others.
- Humor brings more connectivity to others and improves relationships. If you have a stressful situation with your team it reduces the tension and refocuses everyone on the problem at hand without being critical or laying blame.
- Laughter helps bring a new perspective to a situation, your own or someone else’s view of a problem. It opens the door to sharing and communicating in a healthy way.
- Laughter actually reduces stress hormones and diminishes pain so you can be more productive in your work.
- Being humorous allows you to take yourself less seriously. Your business should be fun! When you enjoy your business you are more motivated to get going every morning and meet your goals. If business is all work it can become draining, wear you out, and you will wonder why you ever started your business in the first place!!
Here are some suggestions to help you bring laughter in business and break the tension. It can take just moments to accomplish this or you can use bigger chunks of time depending on your need.
- Read the comics section of the newspaper. I have many favorites but when my son was a teenager I especially loved “Zits.” Clip one out and post it where you can see it. Comic strips can bring an instant smile to your face or a good laugh.
- Pick up a joke book at your local book store and read a few. We even keep one as a bathroom reader. Makes for interesting conversation when a guest bursts out laughing in the bathroom! Creates fond memories for quick recall.
- Take a break and play with your children or take a trip to the park to watch someone else’s children enjoy the playground. They are so joyful and immediately reset your perspective on what is really important. Most business problems do have a solution.
- Spend a few minutes with your pet or watch a youtube video of funny animals.
- Take flowers or a quick food gift to a neighbor or just stop by for a short visit to bring joy and laughter to someone else.
- Share a funny quote or picture on social media.
- Pick up the phone and call that dear friend who always makes you laugh.
These are just a few things that I do to laugh and reset my day when I am feeling stressed and overwhelmed. I am sure you have plenty of good ideas of your own and what works for you.
Be joyful today, don't be afraid of laughter in business, and you will not only improve your business but be a blessing to others.
If any of this resonates with you feel free to comment and share your thoughts. You can also connect with me at http://KitRosato.com. Would love to hear from you!