You've spent hours creating something that you think will sell like hot cakes. Well, all of that blood sweat and tears is only the beginning. The biggest surprise to most product creators is that the actual development of your product is about 20% of the work needed to make it successful. The reality is that the other 80% is knowing how to effectively market that product in order to get it in front of the people that need it the most.
Marketing for People Who Don't like Marketing
I hate marketing! There, I said it – I have never been a fan of trying to get people to notice me or something that I've made. I'm not good at building a community, getting people excited about an offer, or anything else related to marketing. All that being said, that doesn't mean I haven't found a way to sell the products that I create to those who need them.
The strategy that I used to sell my products isn't as in-your-face as most marketing books to teach you. Personally, I like to “market without marketing” as much as possible. That is, I like to market my products in a way that is natural and authentic. For example, with Magic Action Box, I tried a variety of ways to get the WordPress plug-in in front of bloggers who needed it to convert more visitors into loyal subscribers. I tried guest posting, posting in forms, pay-per-click advertising, and a whole host of other things, but the most effective sales tool was something that most people overlook.
How Do You Respond to People?
Magic Action Box has a lite version that people can download for free in the WordPress repository. What are the most difficult things that I contended with was whether or not to answer support questions from the free version as quickly as I do from the paid version. Fortunately, because I love to make people happy, I decided that no matter what version people purchased, I would answer as quickly and as effectively as possible.
You wouldn't believe the power behind the choice of giving amazing customer service to everyone. Not only did I get people buying the paid version of the plug-in after they've asked a support question, there have been prominent bloggers marketing the product without any solicitation – and that is awesome.
Not only that, a multitude of people who downloaded the free version of the plug-in because of the marketing from these prominent bloggers went on to buy the paid version and commented on the blog saying how great the customer service was. You can't get better advertising than that!
Customer Service Is Your Greatest Asset
I've tried so many ways to market my products and services, but nothing has ever been as effective as amazing customer service. Although it might be a pain in the beginning, the time that you invest in helping your customers achieve their goals will pay insane dividends in the long run. Whether you are giving something away for free, providing a sample of your product, or you have a paid product, how you treat your customers helps you to build a sales force greater than you could possibly imagine.
Honestly, I'm pretty crazy when it comes to customer service. Anyone that buys anything from me, I literally check my e-mail 10 times within the hour to make sure that they have no questions. Do you need to do that, or do you need to be as insane as I am about customer service? No – but the more that you make yourself available to those who have invested in you the more that they will talk about you and your products to other people – guaranteed.
I seriously hate marketing the way that the gurus teach in books. I've tried it, I suck at it, and it's a waste of time for me. That doesn't mean that it's a waste of time for you, but from experience, being reachable and caring has tremendously helped increase revenue over the past few months. Caring customer service is the secret to making your business great.