Mindset and productivity: which comes first? It’s a chicken and the egg kind of question. Most of us go “ugh….mindset….don’t need it, or already have it, or I just want to jump in and get more productive. Show me the steps to increase my productivity and let’s get on with it!”
The problem is that without the proper productivity mindset strategy, your overall productivity will suffer or get completely derailed in the course of trying to get things done.
How do I know?
It happens to me and it happens to most other people I know and it is something even the most productive of us deal with too. I have yet to meet a mindset and productivity expert who doesn’t still work on these things.
As the saying goes, nothing stands still. You are either moving forward or moving backward.
What is Mindset?
The right mindset is not just a good attitude. A good attitude on the surface is helpful and may get your day started right but it can only take you so far. It’s all the thoughts swimming around in your head underneath your conscious level, in your unconscious mind, that is determining the actions you take and your productivity level.
It is said our mind is speeding along at 50,000 plus thoughts a day and setting the course for our lives and success. How many of those thoughts are empowering? How about the hidden beliefs below the surface that are self-limiting and may even be difficult to recognize?
If you are like most people when approaching a new task, or a project or something you really don’t feel like doing, the conversations in your head may go something like this. Fill in the blanks with your own words.
- “If I try learning and implementing this _______ I might fail. Remember when _____ and ______ happened. I felt like such a failure!”
- “Oh no, my ______ will say it will never work, I can never earn money doing this and I will have to deal with their negativity again. Maybe they are right?”
- “I am afraid what others will think of me. They are always telling me to get a normal job.”
- “I never get things done on time anyway. Let me do these easier tasks first.”
- “_______ is so difficult and I am such a slow learner. Better wait till I feel better.”
And the stream of thoughts go on and on with this negative self-talk! All of these thoughts and similar ones will derail you, slow you down, cause you to procrastinate, and affect your productivity.
The Quick Solution
So here is a quick simple trick to get you started on improving your mindset and it will immediately increase your productivity.
As soon as a negative, limiting thought starts in your head, stop it in its tracks, and replace it with an empowering phrase instead. Refuse to complete the negative thought. Here are a few bible verses and affirmations I use:
- “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Phil 4:13
- “With God all things are possible.” Matthew 19:26
- I am capable, smart and amazing with a can do spirit.
- I am getting better every day in every way.
- I know I can figure this out or get this box shipped or figure out my new label writer.
You get the picture. With daily practice this gets easier and easier. You will be amazed how well this works and how empowered you will feel to do the next steps in your business!
If any of this resonates with you feel free to comment and share your thoughts. You can also connect with me at http://KitRosato.com. Would love to hear from you!